Fans, there’s a good news for you. Guess what?
Your web-slinger friend is returning to the film industry and staying at least a bit longer now.
You know who I’m talking about right? Yes, it’s our favorite superhero Spider-Man.
After all the blues of him leaving the industry, Spider-Man is back in action again.
No one could take him away, not even the studios itself.
To add to this, Tom Holland did weigh in on the news by sharing a joke video on Instagram.
Shortly after the news broke about the deal, he posted a clip from The Wolf of Wall Street.
The clip in which Leonardo DiCaprio’s character, Jordan Belfort, tells his coworkers, “You know what? I’m not leaving. The show goes on.”
Tom Holland simply captioned the clip with a sly-faced emoji, rather than sharing an official statement on the new agreement.
So, are you excited to see your favorite superhero in the cinema again? Here’s everything you need to know.
Sony has been controlling the rights to the web-slinger since 1999.
In 2015, Marvel and Sony unveiled an unprecedented intra-studio partnership.
They produced two well-regarded and massive hits Spider-Man: Homecoming and this summer’s Spider-Man: Far From Home.
The partnership took the character, whose movie rights are owned by Sony, and put him into the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Spider-Man: Homecoming made $880.1 million and featured Marvel character Iron Man.
While Spider-Man was also a key part of 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War and had a powerful role in this year’s Avengers: Endgame.
Both films grossed more than $2 billion, with Endgame standing as the top film of all time.
You may remember that last month, there was a huge story regarding Sony Pictures and Walt Disney Picture falling apart over future Spider-Man movies.
In August, negotiations broke down between Disney and Sony Pictures for future Spider-Man films.
Reportedly, Disney and Marvel wanted a 50% cut of future Spider-Man movies which Sony wasn’t willing to change.
People immediately started to make huge buzz regarding the news, with plenty of them saying the studios greedy.
Well, after all those feedbacks and buzz, it seems that Sony and Disney have finally reached an agreement for the time being.
On Friday September 27, Sony and Disney released a statement confirming that Spider-Man is staying in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for at least one more film.
Negotiations involved top players from both studios, including Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothaman, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige and Walt Disney Studios co-chairs Alan Horn and Alan Bergman.
Now, Kevin Feige, will produce the next installment in the Tom Holland-led Spider-Man franchises, and will allow his version of Peter Parker to appear in the future Marvel films.
Rumors says that in exchange for leading Feige’s producing prowess, Marvel and Disney will be receiving roughly about 25% of the profits.
While Disney will be retaining its merchandising rights and will put up roughly a quarter of the financing.
Now, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios will indeed work together on a third solo Spider-Man film starring Tom Holland, which will be releasing on July 16, 2021.
“I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it,” Feige said in a statement.
He added “Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe. He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.”
The statement also hinted that Tom Holland’s Spider-Man isn’t only the version of the superhero that fans will get to see in the future.
However, fans will have to wait to know whether that will include sequels to the Oscar-winning Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, a brand new, live action franchise or more starring Tom Holland.